Thursday, July 15, 2010

Why I love my husband.

Three years ago Derek and I stood at the altar at First Baptist Church of Tuscaloosa before the God of all creation and vowed "until death do us part."  When we were engaged we were told numerous times that the first year of marriage would be tough.  Our first year of marriage was absolute bliss.  I remember us constantly saying, "if this is 'tough,' we've got it made."  I definitely don't want to make it out like we haven't had any bumps in the road, however, I am certain that I am incredibly blessed  to be married to Derek Irons. 


Happily married for three years!

I love him with everything that is in me and here are just a couple reasons why:

1. He loves the Lord our God with all of his heart, soul and mind.
2. He is selfless
3. He is strong (as in he isn't shaken)
4. He is generous
5. He is patient
6. He is compassionate
7. He is an excellent husband, father, son, coach, and teacher
8. He is a prayer warrior
9. He is witty and makes me laugh
10. He is self-controlled
11. He makes me a better person
12. He prays with me
13. He encourages me
14 He is careful with his words
15. He is committed

Yesterday morning Derek told me to pack a bag for me and eighteen one for Luke and to be ready to leave at 5 pm.  He was taking me on a surprise getaway and the little man wasn't coming with us.  I did just as I was told.  After dropping Luke off at the Yarbrough's house for the night, Derek and I headed to Enterprise to eat at the Mellow Mushroom (which just happens to be my favorite restaurant when there is no regard to calories).  I have to admit I was a little skeptical that we were in Enterprise, Alabama and my overnight bag was packed.  I kept thinking there must be something here that I'm unaware of.  We left Mellow Mushroom and stopped for some ice cream and then headed out towards the country.  After about 20 minutes of driving we pulled up to this:


This is our friends cabin and it is a beautiful, peaceful, and wonderful place.  We enjoyed the quiet and spent the morning on the front porch swing, coffee and muffins in hand, rejoicing in the Lord and how he continues to teach us to be better for Him.  I am completely overwhelmed by His goodness.  Thank you to the Sutton's, Yarbrough's, and my wonderful husband for this relaxing getaway.

Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the earth! Serve the Lord with gladness!
Come into his presence with singing! Know that the Lord, he is God! It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture. Enter his gates with thanksgiving, and his courts with praise! Give thanks to him; bless his name! For the Lord is good; his steadfast love endures forever, and his faithfulness to all generations.   -Psalm 100

No comments: