Preface: Somewhere around 4 months old Luke started sleeping horribly. I remember one time when we were immersed in sleep issues (and deprivation) we were out to dinner with some friends who had a 2 year old and a 3 year old. We were discussing our lack of sleep and he said, "I remember those days but looking back they were just a flash in the pan." Derek and I both wanted to jump across the table and strangle him. I hope this post doesn't do the same thing for you. I really just hope it provides some encouragement that if you have a bad sleeper there is hope!
I've been hesitant to write this post for 6 months. I definitely wanted it documented after the lack of sleep we had from about 4 - 8 months of age. I was afraid a post "bragging" on him would jinx his amazing sleeping skills. It really has been 6 months now since he started sleeping through the night consistently. It's as if his crib is his favorite place on earth. He sleeps 11 hours at night and then he takes a 2 hour-ish nap in the morning and a 2 hr-ish nap in the afternoon.
Here is the most amazing part. When he wakes up, he just plays in his crib. I've really never tested him to see how long he would stay in there. I think the longest I've left him post-sleep is 45 minutes. What's the secret you ask?
The Fisher Price Ocean Wonders Aquarium. This might be the best gift to-date. I'm not sure who got it for him although I think it was my Dad last Christmas. If Luke is awake, this aquarium has to be going. He pushes the button and it plays music, the water swishes around and it lights up for 8 minutes. He will listen to it over and over and over. If he wakes up in the middle of the night he just pushes the button and it puts him back to sleep.
I really think each child has their thing and sleep just happens to be Luke's. Well, that and drinking milk. Doesn't each child come with their own set of frustrations and worries though? Sometimes I read other mommy blogs about what their child is doing and I start to fear that Luke is behind or maybe even that something is wrong. I've come to realize (not on my own-through prayer and divine revelation) that each child has some things that they do really well and then other things that are a struggle. And these struggles tend to create unwarranted concern for us parents. I don't mean to air Luke's dirty laundry but I know we seem to only remember the good things and I think when we have another child I might want to look back at this post as a source of encouragement. For instance, Luke isn't by any means advanced when it comes to expressive verbal development. He turned 14 months old last month and at that point the only word he said was bye bye. His vocabulary has expanded now but it was a major concern for me. Another concern is that he hates to read books. I so badly desire for him to sit in my lap and let me read him a book. He won't have any part of it because it requires him to sit still. He has also turned into a picky eater. There are a handful of foods that I can bank on him eating and everything else is hit or miss. And then there's the concern that he sleeps too much...is that possible by the way? Or what about the fact that he throws a fit most every time we strap him into his car seat. And don't let me forget that he has approximately 100 toys and he doesn't touch them. He wants to play with pots, pans, kitchen utensils, remotes, cell phones, hair dryers, brushes, bottles, etc. Or maybe the concern that he could care less when we drop him off at the nursery or with a stranger for that matter.
I could go on listing but you know what I could list even more of? The precious moments that make it all worth it and even seem to replace the worries. I think I've come to grips with the fact that there are just concerns that come with raising every child. But doesn't the good so far outweigh the bad? I totally know and trust that God is in control and that he cares for Luke more than even I do...doesn't that just blow your mind, moms? So this morning I spent some time in prayer for all of you moms before I wrote this post. I prayed that we would be able to leave these concerns at the foot of the cross and trust that He is in control and allow his peace that surpasses all understanding to guard our hearts and minds. Whether you have a little one and are potty training or you have a grown one living all the way across the country. And lest I forget, I prayed specifically for a good nights sleep for all of you sleep deprived moms!
3 comments:
Leslie, I love this post! I agree with your theory about babies having their "thing." Does Luke struggle with drinking milk or is it something he loves? Addy does not want to drink (milk or otherwise!) so I was hoping you had some tips!
I saw your comment on my blog. I'm glad Luke likes to drink milk! Our kids are opposite on a lot of stuff :) addy likes books and talking and doesn't sleep well or drink milk and I worry about her not eating enough!
Oops! I had been updating our Sunday school blog and didn't realize I wasn't commenting as myself!
Post a Comment